May 20, 2026
ManyPress
World

Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic?

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that an Ebola outbreak in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a “public health emergency of international concern”, setting off al

NF

ManyPress Editorial Team

ManyPress Editorial

May 18, 2026 · 1:11 PM3 min readSource: Al Jazeera
Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic?

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that an Ebola outbreak in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a “public health emergency of international concern”, setting off alarm bells around the world. The WHO’s announcement on Sunday came as several countries are battling to contain a hantavirus outbreak linked to a cruise ship trip to South America. While the cause and treatment for the two viruses differ, news of their outbreaks has caused world leaders and health ag

These questions are particularly pertinent following the COVID-19 pandemic, which resulted in global lockdowns due to the lack of preparedness for the spread of the coronavirus. But as the WHO faces a funding crisis, is the world better prepared now if another pandemic occurs – or could it be even less so? Every time a health emergency occurs anywhere in the world, the first response of the WHO is to determine the danger the disease poses and then implement a plan to respond to it. But since 2025, the United Nations health agency has been struggling financially due to a lack of funding from donors. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned in May 2025 that global health would be at serious risk without enough donor support and that the agency was facing “the greatest disruption to global health financing in memory”. The crisis deepened after the United States, which had previously covered nearly one-fifth of the WHO’s budget, officially withdrew from the organisation in January this year. US President Donald Trump announced the decision in January 2025, alleging the WHO had mishandled the COVID-19 pandemic and other international health crises. As a result, the programme budget for the agency’s 2026-27 projects has been set at more than $6.2bn, a 9 percent decrease from the previous year. In response, the WHO revised its financial plans and scaled back spending by cutting back some of its critical programmes, which has significantly curtailed pandemic preparedness, health experts told Al Jazeera. “Funding cuts to the WHO have directly weakened disease surveillance efforts, which in turn affect the readiness and preparedness to deliver an effective response to epidemics and pandemics,” Kaja Abbas, associate professor of infectious disease epidemiology and dynamics at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Nagasaki University, said. Following the recent hantavirus outbreak, passengers and crew members from more than 20 countries on the affected cruise ship, MV Hondius, required coordinated monitoring, contact tracing, medical evacuation, and public health guidance across borders. Under the International Health Regulations (IHR), the WHO helps to facilitate communication and response efforts among countries, deploys experts, supports laboratory testing and organises emergency responses in case of an outbreak.

Key points

  • These questions are particularly pertinent following the COVID-19 pandemic, which resulted in global lockdowns due to the lack of preparedness for the spread of the coronavirus.
  • But as the WHO faces a funding crisis, is the world better prepared now if another pandemic occurs – or could it be even less so?
  • Every time a health emergency occurs anywhere in the world, the first response of the WHO is to determine the danger the disease poses and then implement a plan to respond to it.
  • But since 2025, the United Nations health agency has been struggling financially due to a lack of funding from donors.
  • WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned in May 2025 that global health would be at serious risk without enough donor support and that the agency was facing “the greatest disruption t…

AdvertisementAd Placeholder — Configure AdSense in .env.localNEXT_PUBLIC_ADSENSE_CLIENT=ca-pub-XXXXXXXX

This article was independently rewritten by ManyPress editorial AI from reporting originally published by Al Jazeera.

World