May 20, 2026
ManyPress
Sports

Hearts contact police and condemn ‘shameful’ abuse of players and staff after Celtic defeat

Hearts have issued a statement castigating the “shameful” and “disgraceful” scenes which marred the conclusion to the Scottish Premiership’s title race at Celtic Park. The Edinburgh club has emphasise

NF

ManyPress Editorial Team

ManyPress Editorial

May 16, 2026 · 6:39 PM2 min readSource: Guardian Football
Hearts contact police and condemn ‘shameful’ abuse of players and staff after Celtic defeat

Hearts have issued a statement castigating the “shameful” and “disgraceful” scenes which marred the conclusion to the Scottish Premiership’s title race at Celtic Park. The Edinburgh club has emphasised “deeply disturbing” treatment of players and staff. Celtic’s last-day victory had secured their fifth title in succession.

Callum Osmand’s goal for Celtic, the third in a 3-1 win, fuelled a mass pitch invasion which saw Hearts players antagonised and confronted. Those who entered the pitch were audibly booed by those in the stands. The Hearts squad duly left the pitch, before the end of stoppage time, with the game never restarted. They headed immediately back to Tynecastle Park under police escort. “Heart of Midlothian utterly condemns the shameful scenes at Celtic Park this afternoon which have, once again, embarrassed Scottish football,” said a club statement. “Reports of serious physical and verbal abuse towards our players and staff, both on the pitch and elsewhere, are deeply disturbing. We are investigating this fully and are in dialogue with Police Scotland. We will make no further comment at this time other than to say that it is completely unacceptable that our players and staff were put in that situation. “Given the menacing and threatening atmosphere inside the stadium, our entire staff had no alternative but to leave immediately, without undertaking post-match media duties. To our media partners, we apologise but the safety of our staff was our prime focus during these unacceptable scenes. The pitch invasion caused a chaotic end and nobody seemed to know whether or not the match had been brought to a finish.” A line of stewards keeps fans apart after the pitch invasion at Celtic Park. Celtic and the Scottish Professional Football League were yet to say anything on the situation at that point.

Key points

  • Callum Osmand’s goal for Celtic, the third in a 3-1 win, fuelled a mass pitch invasion which saw Hearts players antagonised and confronted.
  • Those who entered the pitch were audibly booed by those in the stands.
  • The Hearts squad duly left the pitch, before the end of stoppage time, with the game never restarted.
  • They headed immediately back to Tynecastle Park under police escort.
  • “Heart of Midlothian utterly condemns the shameful scenes at Celtic Park this afternoon which have, once again, embarrassed Scottish football,” said a club statement.

AdvertisementAd Placeholder — Configure AdSense in .env.localNEXT_PUBLIC_ADSENSE_CLIENT=ca-pub-XXXXXXXX

This article was independently rewritten by ManyPress editorial AI from reporting originally published by Guardian Football.

Sports