May 20, 2026
ManyPress
World

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo an international emergency

Thomas Mukhwana, Africa correspondent, Nairobi and The WHO says the virus has spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda The World Health Organization (WHO) has d

NF

ManyPress Editorial Team

ManyPress Editorial

May 18, 2026 · 6:15 AM3 min readSource: BBC World
WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo an international emergency

Thomas Mukhwana, Africa correspondent, Nairobi and The WHO says the virus has spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a public health emergency of international concern. The agency said the outbreak in DR Congo's eastern Ituri province, which has seen around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency. B

The current strain of Ebola is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, the health agency said, for which there are no approved drugs or vaccines. Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash and bleeding. The WHO said there were now eight laboratory-confirmed cases of the virus, with other suspected cases and deaths across three health zones including Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, and the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara. One case of the virus has been confirmed in the capital Kinshasa, believed to be in a patient returning from Ituri. The WHO said that the virus had spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda. Ugandan officials said a 59-year-old man who died on Thursday had tested positive. In a statement, the Ugandan government said the patient who died was a Congolese citizen whose body had already been returned to DR Congo. A laboratory has also confirmed an Ebola case in the eastern city of Goma, currently controlled by the M23 rebels, the AFP news agency reported on Sunday. At least six Americans have been exposed to Ebola in DR Congo, and one has displayed symptoms but none have been confirmed to have been infected, the BBC's US partner CBS reports, citing sources. The US government was reportedly trying to transport them out of the country, possibly to a military base in Germany, STAT News reports. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it planned to send more staff to DR Congo and Uganda, while the US Embassy in DR Congo issued a health alert reminding citizens not to travel to Ituri province. Jean Kaseya, director general of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, warned that in the absence of vaccines and effective medicines people should follow public health measures, including the guidance about handling the funerals of those who have died from the disease.

Key points

  • The current strain of Ebola is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, the health agency said, for which there are no approved drugs or vaccines.
  • Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash and bleeding.
  • The WHO said there were now eight laboratory-confirmed cases of the virus, with other suspected cases and deaths across three health zones including Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, and the go…
  • One case of the virus has been confirmed in the capital Kinshasa, believed to be in a patient returning from Ituri.
  • The WHO said that the virus had spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda.

AdvertisementAd Placeholder — Configure AdSense in .env.localNEXT_PUBLIC_ADSENSE_CLIENT=ca-pub-XXXXXXXX

This article was independently rewritten by ManyPress editorial AI from reporting originally published by BBC World.

World